Thursday, May 9, 2013

Realidades y Reflexiones

Hey everyone! In honor of getting ready to enter the final weeks and phase of my program, the ISP, or the Independent Study Project (a time in which we develop and carry out our own research and write a long research paper in Spanish), we were asked to reflect on our experience here thus far. I've decided to do the classic "things I'll miss and things I won't miss" list about Argentina as a way to humorously reflect on my experience here.

Disclaimer: This is not an extensive list by any means.

Things I'll miss:
- medialunas and cafe con leche
These snacks have grown on me during my time here (and my stomach too, but that's a whole 'nother problem). I'm still not a huge fan, but the whole idea of a formal merienda, or snack time, in the afternoons is somewhat quaint, somewhat reminds me of preschool and somewhat always makes me sleepy everyday, but it'll definitely be missed. Maybe I can introduce merienda at Kenyon...?

- mullet guy at my colectivo stop
Oh yeah you. I see you standing there every morning at the bus stop looking smug, mullet guy. Sometimes, you even crack a little smile at me. We rarely exchange words, but there is definitely a mutual understanding of exhaustion. I never thought I'd say this, but you rock that mullet. Keep on rockin', dude.

- the beautiful Argentine weather... oh and men
Ah how I love Argentine weather and men. The transition from summer to fall here in Argentina has been marvelous and it is still quite warm which is lovely. The leaves even changed colors a little. My seasons are all messed up this year. Oh and the men. Businessmen on my bus in the morning. You are beautiful. Really. Such good eye candy. You and your defined, scruffy jawlines make my morning commute definitely a lot easier. I fear my morning walk from Old Kenyon to the science quad next year just won't be the same.

- my fellow students on my program
Before I left for my program, the biggest complaint I heard about SIT programs was that the whole small group, being together all the time, taking all your classes together thing can be very hit or miss. I know from the professors that came to visit our program, as well as our program director, that some of the other programs this semester and in the past have had some serious problems. However, my group is great. Really truly great. I mean yes I like some people more and we've had some bumps along the way, but we all get along remarkably well given the amount of time we have to spend together. I want to thank them for being so exciting, funny, smart and engaging, as well as great companions on very, very, very long bus rides and trips all over Argentina. You guys are the best and I know already that I will miss you greatly.

- speaking Spanish... well sometimes
Oh Spanish. We have a love-hate relationship sometimes, but at the end of the day, I've decided I think I like you. There is a real beauty to you and now that we have gotten past the awkward beginning stages of our relationship, I'm really growing fond of you. However, with any good relationship, there are moments of doubt and frustration. Moments where English just seems easier. However, I continue to work at our relationship and I am starting to think we've reached a beautiful place.


Things I won't miss:
- my one-hour commute to school
Yeah, yeah, yeah there are beautiful Argentine businessmen, but since I am not old, pregnant or a medical professional (see previous post about the colectivos), I have to stand for about an hour most mornings. I mean I am able-bodied and all, but still it's a long time. Try standing and bumping over potholes and being thrust forward when the driver hits the brakes at every red light. I love the colectivos and it's definitely been an experience, but I think I'll be ready for my 5 second walk to class again next year. No public transportation involved.

- my bug bites
Mosquitos, I hate you. Why are your bites so big and make my skin swell? Why do you target my face while I sleep? It is not summer anymore. Why are you still here? You keep me up during the night and make me itchy all day. Totally not necessary.

- having to monitor my stuff all the time
Pickpocketing. I hate that too. I have decided that so much of my exhaustion here comes from being on watch all day long. Pickpocketers, please just don't steal my stuff. I want to be able to walk around and use my phone in public places or be able to pull my wallet out of my bag. I wish I didn't have to worry about you all the time.

- the sound of the buses braking outside of my house
Nails on a chalkboard. Screeching brakes are the worst. Buses, why do you need to hit your brakes at 4:45 in the morning and wake me up? It is really not necessary. In this respect, I'm definitely looking forward to my return to the quiet sounds of Newton and the 'bier.

- catcalls
Oh sketchy, creepy Argentine men. I am so flattered that you think I'm attractive, particularly when I wear shorts and show off my legs, but it is really not necessary to yell profane things at me as I go by. I now know what you are saying and no I do not want to have your baby, especially not at 7 o'clock in the morning. On the bright side, at least I can tell from your comments what days I look good...

No comments:

Post a Comment